Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Swans, stoner metal and Wodensthrone

And then there was yet another post!

First off, Swans - Filth:
Swans - Filth

Now what can we say about this? For starters, you can clearly hear these guys were involved in the no wave scene. The whole thing actually sounded a lot clearer than I expected it to be (I expected something like Teenage Jesus & the Jerks, though). It gives off a really good first impression, eitherway. I gave it a 4/5 for now.

Next off is some goodies stoner metal with some Sci-Fi sounds from the Netherlands, Toner Low's selftitled debut:
Toner Low - Toner Low
You should really just go listen to this. Their myspace has one song from this album, though for some reason the track titles are different from those on musicbrainz and RYM.

Finally, my most recent purchase, Wodensthrone - Loss:
Wodensthrone - Loss

Which is an atmospheric black metal band that got me really excited. The album itself is a pretty solid mixture of black metal and some folky parts. The intro track, Fyrgenstréam, is a real mood-setter. I should note right here that beyond this track, it's not exactly the most variated album of it's kind, but it is certainly well-played. Though not as fast, sections of the album appeal to me in the same way that Emperor's first two albums do. The drumming is solid, as are the vocalists. That's right; they've got several of them. It works pretty well. Most of it is your-average-black metal-screaming, but there are some clean, folky background vocals too. The only thing that bothers me is that it comes off as a lot of the same. Overall, a really grand, almost warm atmosphere. Also, there's a lot of replay power in this. I've been listening to this nearly on a daily basis, and I just can't get bored with it.

Speaking of atmospheric black metal, I still need to check WitTR, even if only for the enormous hype and the fact that they're on Southern Lord. If you've got any tips, please let me know :).

No comments:

Post a Comment