Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Little Brother

Here's a quick recommendation on something you have to read.
Little Brother is a freely available ebook by writer Cory Doctorow. Now, I'll try to keep this short because I don't know anything about books, but this is awesome. It's about a little nerdy kid who happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time during a massive terrorist attack in San Francisco. After he is released from his terrorism prison, his city has turned in to a police state.
If you care about any of the following:
  • Privacy

  • Paranoia

  • Hacking

  • Sci-fi about the near future

  • Nerdy stuff

Then get reading. Like I said, I don't know anything about books (I don't read apart from college books and stuff on the internet), but I read this 'out in one breath' as the Dutch saying goes. It also gives some alpha-friendly information about Bayesian Math, DNS and some cryptography. If you're not a tech-person, don't worry: the explaination is really good and avoids technial details. All you need to know is that most things described in this book are real or near-future (5-10 years?) technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment