Friday, July 9, 2010

Signs of life...

.. through the most appropriate style of music for the occasion; death metal!

After taking a good while off playing Pharaoh (a city building game set in ancient Egypt), watching various seasons and series of Stargate (all of Atlantis and over a third of SG-1) and generally being covered in Egyptian mythology, the best start is probably...

... No, not Nile, actually. Nice try though. In fact, I'll post about Aeternam, a band that had their debut this year (though various regions of the internet seem to believe a 2009 release also exists, RYM does not). It's called Disciples of the Unseen and is in a strange region somewhere between (old) Arch Enemy, mordern melodic death and Nile. Though their melodic death is solid, the clean vocals and the non-metal influences are the prime elements that make this album impressive. I'm actually doubting whether the non-metal elements are related to Egypt, but suffice it to say the middle-east seems about accurate. Of course, there are some bands from this region (1000 Funerals, for example -- but that's for another post), but this one is not among them; they're Canadian. Either way, you can hear some here (out of these two I recommend Angel Horned).

Disciples of the Unseen:
Aeternam - Disciples of the Unseen

Next up is one of a pretty long list a friend of mine got me not too long ago; Autopsy's legendary album, Mental Funeral. Though this is probably blasphemy to death metal fans out there, I haven't heard it in the past five years I've listened to metal. Boy did I miss out. Doom-infused, raw death metal, something that has probably served as inspiration for Entombed. They've probably got some friends in Obituary, too. This definitely sparks interest for Autopsy's debut, Severed Survival.

Mental Funeral:
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Severed Survival:
Autopsy - Severed Survival

Here's some more stuff I'll be (re)trying in the near future. If I feel I have something to say, I will post about them.
Benediction - Organized Chaos
Brutality - Screams of Anguish

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity
A Life Once Lost - Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment