Sunday, October 10, 2010

New purchase: Paramæcium - Within the Ancient Forest

Paramæcium - Within the Ancient Forest


I remember when I was a sort-of-outsider kid, totally into the harder forms of electronic dance music. I just started the second part of high school (at the school I went to, the last three years were on another location), I got some friends that listened to metal. Soon, I came in contact with a lot of bands from various styles -- Vomitory, Arch Enemy, Nightwish, Slipknot, Darkthrone are those I remember clearly. Just after that, I went exploring on the web (broadband was a new thing back then). Soon, I found this style called 'doom metal', of which somehow I hadn't heard anything. And there it was - Paramaecium, with the album Exhumed of the Earth (though admittedly, there was also My Dying Bride). Seeing as this was the age of limewire, I had but a few tracks of this album. But amazing as it was.

Now, roughly six or seven years later, I stroll through a local music store and I see this cover. I couldn't read the logo on the front - I believed I found some black metal by a band called 'Within the Ancient Forest'. Only when I got home I realized- Paramaecium! And what a feast of doom, nostalgia and joy it is. Who ever said Christians can't make good music?

No comments:

Post a Comment