Saturday, January 29, 2011

listening in 2011; 28 & 29 January

Hi folks.

Yesterday, I didn't really hear anything interesting, but I found it worth mentioning that tracks off the new Belphegor album, Blook Magick Necromance were rather disappointing. These guys kicked some ass back when I was a young metal kid attending my first festival (even though I ended up missing Kataklysm to see them)! However, this just doesn't have the power I expected it to have.

Now, on to good music.
Monumental Torment - Element of Chaos
Monumental Torment is apparently a new technical death metal band, and this is their debut. Judging from Element of Chaos and Seek To Destroy, they really know their scene. Actually, not really; they seem to be moving to a somewhat math-y sound, compared to generic technical death.
Many will probably pass this off as guitar wanking, but I've never cared much for that before, and I wont now. I do hope that the album as a whole will contain some changes of pace (it does seem to have some song(s) with calmer passages).
A lot of death metal (in general, but the technical subgenre in particular) suffers from the faster-is-better paradigm. While it applies to some extent, playing only at high speed is just boring, similar to listening to the same speedcore sample for several minutes.

Off to different territory, Curren$y put out a new mixtape (don't ask me why they're listed under compilations on RYM). Record Deals has a nice beat, but it's rather lengthy. Similar issues arise with Frost; the sound is okay, but the rest is kind of boring.

Minks - By The Hedge is the final album for this post; this seems to be one of those albums that just kind of drifts besides you in your speakers. Though, not quite; there are some more upbeat tunes, too.HYPEM has a bunch of songs. Go listen for yourself.

Good night!
note: unlike usually, I will now make new posts instead of appending to old ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment